I tried using Waydroid on Linux Mint (Edge) only to have it not work and realized that it requires Wayland, and Mint uses X11. So I used VirtualBox to install Fedora 40 Gnome which does use Wayland.

I installed Waydroid as per the instructions and am having seemingly the same issue as on Mint. After downloading “Vanilla” Android and clicking “Done” everything exits out. So I launch the Waydroid application but nothing ever happens.

I then try to manually start Waydroid in terminal but always get “ERROR: WayDroid container service is already running”. Then I skip to the second step “waydroid session start” but receive “OSError: container failed to start”.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it simply because the VM is causing the issues? Or does WayDroid not work well on Fedora? Thanks

• Quack Doc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Waydroid works inside of Avian perfectly fine, but I would still generally recommend either just using Bliss OS or the native host. You can run Waydroid using something like Cage or Weston if you’re on X11.

If you are running on something like VirtualBox, you may need to disable hardware acceleration for GPUs. QEMU has working GPU acceleration.