link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

or any democracy for that matter

Australia sends its regards.

It is really nice knowing that I can safely vote for our “green” party without risking our conservative party getting in because the centre-left party loses too many votes.

Also, voting being mandatory (and very accessible) and on a Sunday for federal elections is such a game changer for ensuring participation.

Hopefully you guys can get reforms in at some point.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Low voter turnout benefits the Republican Party in the US because conservatives are more consistent voters. Reform requires 60 votes in the Senate out of 100. That makes it almost impossible because one of the major parties is not interested in reform.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I think most Democrats are interested in reform that would boost turnout. Higher turnout is usually good for Democratic candidates.

• DreamlandLividity@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Sure, but that is not the same as allowing another parties to take their votes that do turn out.

Just look around here on lemmy, the democrats are milking the “we are the only alternative to hate and bigotry” for everything it is worth. I expect they would not even keep half their voters if a better alternative to voting republican existed.