• Immersive_Matthew@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think the world is slowly waking up to the fact that the West’s decades of power has largely come from the income and vast benefits of cheap access to energy. I have personally benefited from this as a western person as I know most have here. That said, due to the power structures that developed around this core, it is going to be vigorously defended, especially if head on attacked by small groups and individuals. We are no match for the power and influence of the oil and gas Industry. The only way to defeat is to personally suck up the costs of transitioning to green energy solutions even if it costs more than the gas it replaces. Further it is up to the West with its higher income to bite the bullet and take the financial hit to shift to green at the individual level as it is clear our governments are wrapped up in the core of the oil and gas power structure. No one is coming to save the planet…we have to step up. We the people need to act before too late.

• WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I take solace in the fact we generated a lot of value for the top 0.1% while we turned the planet into an uninhabitable wasteland!

• Hanrahan@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Did we ? Some species managed millions of years, we’re at what 100k-150k or so, seems a very shitty run really.

Jokes aside, I suppose we’re not witnessing the end of humanity, just the end of this civilisarion. Pity we’re taking so many other species down and leaving the place in a fucking mess.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

In all seriousness, I think the reason why we are in the situation we are in is that, for about 50 years, people have ignored the worse scenarios and paid attention only to the ones that aren’t that bad. That isn’t the correct way to manage risk.