While rebutting another post here on Lemmy, I ran into this. This says exactly what I want to say.

I am not a friend of Biden’s Administration. I think they drug their feet over a variety of things ranging from holding Trump and his goons accountable for January 6th through rulemaking on issues like OTC Birth Control and abortion rights, and yes, I think he’s too quick to please big business. But then I remember what the alternative is, and … well, disappointed in Biden or not, I’m voting for him. Because my wife is a Black bisexual goth woman, four strikes under Team Pepe’s tent. And I have my own strikes for marrying her as a White dude, and respecting her right to not have kids since she doesn’t want them is another strike against me. And I care about my Non-Christian, Gay, Transgender, and Minority friends, and will never willingly subject them to Team Pepe.

• capital@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

We care a whole lot about not having another Trump presidency and unfortunately many here don’t seem to have figured out how first past the post voting works yet.

• shikitohno@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

We understand how it works perfectly fine, thanks. The Democrats just can’t seem to get that if you constantly run on nothing but “Hey, the other guy is worse,” while supporting unconscionable policies, failing to deliver on popular policies and being yet another in a long line of disappointments for significant parts of the population, eventually people will say “You know what? If you want to lose this bad, fine.”

The Democrats will never actually change and improve if they keep managing to squeak by with more of the same. Unless they genuinely fear losing an election and take action to address it, we’re going to be in the exact same position in another four years, complete with liberals screeching at everyone who doesn’t fall in line, “Don’t you understand, this is the end of democracy! The other guy will be so bad, and we promise not to suck this time, scout’s honor.”

• capital@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

complete with liberals screeching at everyone who doesn’t fall in line, “Don’t you understand, this is the end of democracy! The other guy will be so bad, and we promise not to suck this time, scout’s honor.”

During Clinton v Trump I was screeching about abortion rights. Oh well, right?

• shikitohno@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Sure would have been nice if Democrats did anything about the filibuster and passing legislation to codify abortion rights when they had majorities at the start of the Clinton and Obama presidencies, rather than just campaigning on the possibility of Republicans ramming through their anti-reproductive healthcare stances when they couldn’t, and wringing their hands about bipartisanship when they did have chances, wouldn’t it? Same sort of posturing and preening that we get on so many topics this election cycle that, even if Democrats get an overwhelming mandate in, they will proceed to do absolutely nothing to actually implement a permanent solution to so in 2028 they can cry wolf again. Remind me how the story of the little boy crying wolf ended, could you?

• capital@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Sorry, what about the fact that real people lost their ability to get abortions is crying wolf? There was an actual fucking wolf just like I was crying.

The fuck? What do you think that story is teaching?

Yes, it would be nice if they had the majority required to enshrine abortion rights in law. But that wasn’t reality.

What was reality is enough Republicans in power believe it should be taken away.

So, just like this whole damn OP is about - while Dems aren’t what we actually want, they’re a whole lot fucking better than the alternative.

• shikitohno@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Well, there’s the whole “Republicans are going to overturn Roe v Wade, vote for us so we’ll protect your rights” bit they’ve been coasting on for 30 years that they did fuck all about the entire time. That’s the crying wolf. They had chances to do so, and chose not to.

• capital@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

That’s… Not what crying wolf is. That would be warning people that electing Trump would affect abortion rights and get them more SCOTUS seats and then that NOT happening. Except it’s exactly what happened. We cried wolf and there was a wolf…

I think you’re delusional if you think even Dems had the majority required to make that into law in the past 30 years.

• shikitohno@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  2 months ago

You’re being rather obtuse here, the Democrats have been crying wolf over Republican attempts to overturn Roe v Wade for decades and did nothing to prevent it, this isn’t an issue that only popped up for Hilary’s campaign in 2016. What a surprise that it actually gets through and done when people have already been desensitized to Dems saying “Watch out, they’ll take away your right to an abortion, but if you vote for us, we’ll protect it!” and nobody actually believes they’ll do anything about it beyond say “Watch, the Republicans are coming for your right to abortion!” They could literally win every seat in the House and Senate, and they’d probably still sit on their hands so they could campaign on it again in a few years rather than settle the matter.

I gave you two examples within the last 30 years where they had the numbers to remove the filibuster and enact legislation. Those are just times when they had a sizeable enough margin, they could have passed the legislation in spite of idiots like Manchin and Lieberman.

• capital@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Your continued misuse of the parable notwithstanding, I think you believe more Dems would have supported it than actually would have. Those chances go down the further back you go.

Dems are not a monolith.