• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

It’s also just wild how different every church is. I’ve personally consumed the Styrofoam feeling circle wafers when my parents would drag me to church, and I’ve seen what you describe, even sometimes just straight up a whole slice of Rainbow, but also some kind of cracker or unleavened bread which seems more traditional I guess?

I don’t get why it’s bread tho. It’s an analogue for his flesh right? Why isn’t it a steak? It would pair better with the red wine. 🤤

• Albbi@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The reason it’s bread and wine is straight from Jesus mouth I the new testament.

Luke 22:19–20 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is lthe new covenant in my blood.

It’s obviously a metaphor, so the churches that preach that communion is consuming the actual flesh and blood and really weird to me. Well it’s all really weird to me now. I was very religious when I was a kid and learned the Bible pretty well, but when I went to university learned how to analyze things better and the religion kinda falls apart.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Luke copied Mark and Mark copied Paul who first mentioned it. Paul got it from Mitharism.

🤷 When I was a kid I just assumed it was a metaphor/symbolic as well and thought the people who thought it was literal had kooky ideas.