Edit: It seems like there’s enough people that would prefer this didn’t happen for some pretty good reasons. For that reason, I’m not going to move forward with this idea.

I was thinking it’d be nice to have a bot pull top posts from Reddit, and repost them to their corresponding Lemmy analogs to help bolster the content available on Lemmy while it’s growing. I’m not sure if this kind of functionality would be desired by other users, or legal under Reddit ToS. I was thinking that if this was desired, it could be done for cheap under Reddit’s new API costs. An effort would also be made to prevent reposts as well. I would definitely like to hear everyone’s opinions on this.

• justinalanbass@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Given the precedent that search engines frequently return results from other search engines, then this would seem to be legal. But since Reddit actually hosts the data, they would most likely use legal means/DCMA to take down the bot. The real question is, can you afford as many lawyers as Reddit? Probably not. But maybe if the strategy is just to pull people over in the short term, it could work. I’m not going to do it, not worth the risk to myself.

I think like other posters said, it’s best to keep the content separate. I feel a lot more positivity coming from Kbin/Lemmy. It’s as if a million trolls cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I’m appreciating this for what it is, let’s hope it stays that way.