The EU’s Data Protection Board (EDPB) has told large online platforms they should not offer users a binary choice between paying for a service and consenting to their personal data being used to provide targeted advertising.

In October last year, the social media giant said it would be possible to pay Meta to stop Instagram or Facebook feeds of personalized ads and prevent it from using personal data for marketing for users in the EU, EEA, or Switzerland. Meta then announced a subscription model of €9.99/month on the web or €12.99/month on iOS and Android for users who did not want their personal data used for targeted advertising.

At the time, Felix Mikolasch, data protection lawyer at noyb, said: “EU law requires that consent is the genuine free will of the user. Contrary to this law, Meta charges a ‘privacy fee’ of up to €250 per year if anyone dares to exercise their fundamental right to data protection.”

• Undaunted@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Oh yes please make Meta pull all their crap out of the EU. I can’t wait for it!

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I’d be concerned with other services. Facebook is irrelevant in the larger policy push.

• Undaunted@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

What services do you think are worth letting them violate my rights to my personal information?

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Plenty. I don’t want to pay full price. YT, TikTok, and insta are great. I use sheets/docs for some minor personal stuff too.

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

What’s going to replace YT? Or insta? You going to go door to door to have everyone convert to signal?

• gian @lemmy.grys.it
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

What’s going to replace YT? Or insta?

Maybe nothing in the short term, but it is not that improbable that something will emerge. YT and insta are here just because they were the first, not that it is clear that there is a market (or a use for these kind of services), once you remove the one who don’t follow the laws, other will emerge.