• dead [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

South Carolina has the lowest union membership percentage out of any state. Only 3% of workers in South Carolina are in a labor union.

Nikki Haley was the Governor of South Carolina from 2011 to 2017.

Lesser known fact about South Carolina. In South Carolina and North Carolina, 16 year old and 17 year old students drove the school bus routes until 1988 because the states didn’t want to hire bus drivers and they payed the students less than minimum wage. Gen X children drove their own school busses. In West Columbia South Carolina, January 1988, a 17 year old bus driver ran over and killed a 4 year old student. The federal government ordered them to stop using children to drive the buses.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/28/us/us-ends-exemption-for-young-school-bus-drivers.html

• charlie [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Boeing intentionally maneuvered to open a plant in South Carolina to gut Union support. That plant there is not unionized, unlike every other production facility. At great effort and expense.

One ridiculous thing, they don’t have QA for paint in South Carolina because the QA in Renton refused to train a non-union QA dept. So there is no QA for paint in South Carolina. Instead, they mix the paint there, then ship it 3,000 miles to Renton, WA where it gets “QA checked” (check recent news for their QA standards) then it gets shipped 3,000 miles back. All to for Union busting.

• regul [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Just asked my mom (who graduated from highschool in rural SC in the late 70s) who drove her bus. She told me she didn’t ride the bus (I think my uncle drove her) and didn’t know about the student drivers.

Pretty wild to read about, though, because clearly it was happening.