cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ca/post/19670880

“The 2015 decision by the Supreme Court in Saguenay, (QC), prohibits municipal councils from including prayer in their meetings and in the last two inaugural meetings, in 2018 and 2022, Parksville has included prayers, overtly religious prayers, in their inaugural meetings and that’s a violation of the constitution,” said Teale Phelps Bondaroff, the research coordinator with the BC Humanist Association.

https://www.bchumanist.ca/donate

• uzi@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

It’s not possibke to be in government and someone not push what they believe. Since they are the ones making decisions that affect the lives of other people, then they are ultimately propagating some kind of a message. If you are anti-religion, then the government is run on an anti religion belief system and preaching a government message of anti-religion.

There is zero seperation between being a part of government and personal beliefs for those in government. If members of government practice their religion pulibly in office, in hinders on no one else.

If you are atheist, that is still a religion because you put your faith and belief in there beig ni God. So everybody is pushing sone kind of a message. Your argument is entirely one sided, a demand that the government can only be run in a way that suites you.

It’s revealing how there are religious people who have no concerns about if others are religious or not, they live their own life regardless of others, but someone active avainst all religions seems to demand that others are not allowed to be religious in public. Very childish and self absorbed. It sounds like the issue is you you want zero accountability. You can’t handle anybody criticizing your choices and criticiing your lifestyle.

• Adm_Drummer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I don’t put my faith in believing there is no god. I know there is no god.

That said… It is literally the job of a politician in a secular society to enact change not guided by their religious views but by the desires of their constituents backed by the latest studies, research and science at the time. A god has no part in it.

I’m not even going to read your wall of text. Go find yourself a cozy theocracy to live in if you think the government should be influenced by religion.

• Mammothmothman@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Looks like you are the one who is but hurt about others not wanting to be ruled by your imaginary friend in the sky.