I need help figuring out where I am going wrong or being an idiot, if people could point out where…

I have a server running Debian 12 and various docker images (Jellyfin, Home Assistant, etc…) controlled by portainer.

A consumer router assigns static Ip addresses by MAC address. The router lets me define the IP address of a primary/secondary DNS. The router registers itself with DynDNS.

I want to make this remotely accessible.

From what I have read I need to setup a reverse proxy, I have tried to follow various guides to give my server a cert for the reverse proxy but it always fails.

I figure the server needs the dyndns address to point at it but I the scripts pick up the internal IP.

How are people solving this?

• PieMePlenty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I use nginx as a reverse proxy and assign each service either a subdomain or a specific url. SSL is configured once so all services get https. Its not the best though, some services don’t like being behind a reverse proxy or don’t play nice with the url, subdomain management can get cumbersome and if the service doesn’t have a login page, it is open to bad actors… i was thinking of making a website with login and exposing other web services through an iframe but i don’t know how viable that may be.

A vpn would probably be the best way to go from a security standpoint but accessing services may be a pain on remote devices where a vpn isn’t supported - like how would a TV on a remote network access tour jellyfin server if the service is only accessible through a vpn tunnel and the tv has no way of connecting to it? Not sure.