Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and other European leaders have applauded the US for passing a vital €89 billion aid bill which has been struggling to make it through the House of Representatives for months.

The House swiftly approved roughly €89 billion in foreign aid for Ukraine, Israel and other US allies in a rare Saturday session as Democrats and Republicans banded together after months of hard-right resistance over renewed American support for repelling Russia’s invasion.

With an overwhelming vote, €57 billion in aid for Ukraine passed in a matter of minutes, a strong showing as American lawmakers race to deliver a fresh round of US support to the war-torn ally. Many Democrats cheered on the House floor and waved blue-and-yellow flags of Ukraine.

• ZK686@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Oh geez…you’re spending way too much time on Lemmy/Reddit…Republicans are all in favor of helping Ukraine, they’re just more careful about sending billions and billions and it becomes an endless money pit…that shit happens all the time, and the Republicans are the “traitors” for questioning why and where all the money is being sent. If it was up to Democrats, there’d be NO questions… just send money!

• ZK686@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

“The United States needs to stop getting involved in everyone else’s business” - Sincerely, The World

“The United States needs to do more to get involved in everyone else’s business” - Sincerely, The World

I swear… if it’s not a war that’s supported by the Left, than we’re all traitors for questioning the finances behind it…

• SuddenDownpour@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I like it when people and institutions do good things, I dislike it when people and institutions do bad things, simply enough. If there’s one or two good things the US does at the geopolitical stage, and they hesitate, I’m just going to sigh in dissapointment.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Ukraine is supported by the entire Free World. Putin’s Evil Empire and imperialist war of aggression is supported by neofascists.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Here’s the facts:

• freedom is hard and expensive
      • the conservative “I got mine;fuck you” doesn’t work when it’s ‘others’ in need; it doesn’t even work when it’s poorer Americans in need
      • the sea lion questioning is a stalling tactic; always has been.
      • Republicans can’t even keep a Senate leader, and this guy was right up their seditious theocratic enslaving-women hell-hole alley. They will readily agree to nothing that doesn’t fit their cruel and narrow ideological dependencies.

It always was going to BE a money pit, as that’s the alternative to Normandy and ditching the UN shackles (which is a terrible idea but required).

Time to spend 1/10th as much on Ukraine’s military as America spends on its own, and solve this shit.

• fuckingkangaroos@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Good points, with noting that the aid to Ukraine can easily be justified from a selfish perspective. The fact that it’s also a truly just cause isn’t really part of the equation for a lot of those politicians.

• ZK686@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Hey man, I’m all in favor in helping Ukraine, I think we should absolutely do what we need to do…as do most Republicans. However, if history has taught us anything, it’s also that we cannot be an endless money pit for European affairs. I have no issues giving Ukraine money, but I think it’s always a good thing to question everything.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

if history has taught us anything,

…it is that appeasement causes far greater problems in the long term. We need Churchill not Chamberlain.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Exactly Bernie Sanders’ reasons behind his view on foreign policy and why that money should go to improving the well-being of those that work for it.

I don’t know why you’re getting downvoted. I thought Lemmy’s self-proclaimed left-wingers loved Bernie. Apparently they hate him now.

• fuckingkangaroos@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

“First, it is imperative that we support Ukraine’s valiant effort to defend itself against Putin’s invasion. If Ukraine falls, it will be a signal to Putin that he can continue to expand his authoritarian aggression against democratic nations” -Bernie Sanders

• saltesc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

What does that quote have to do with anything?

There is no correlation. You can be fully supportive of Ukraine and be fully supportive of US expenditure being domestically focused, cautious of foreign aid plans, exactly ZK686’s position as well.

Yes. Bernie massively supports Ukraine. Obviously.

But, Bernie was also part of the reason the bill kept being delayed.

😲

Sanders, Welch Break with Democrats to Vote ‘No’ on Israel, Ukraine Aid Package - sanders.senate.gov

And why was that? Well, now we’re finally back on topic… Sanders has always been opposed to foreign aid and foreign policy when American public are in need. This especially to not emptying money with no plan into “a bottomless pit.” If you’ve somehow missed it in his speeches and debates over the decades, you can read more about it in his letter which specifically covers this topic amongst others…

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/press-releases/prepared-remarks-sanders-expresses-concerns-about-foreign-aid-supplemental-bill/

It is mirroring what ZK686 is saying.

But because ZK686 seems to have identified as a republican from “the other tribe”, when they say it it’s horseshit and woffle and we get the spears and rocks out, amiright?

This place sometimes. Absolute circus… Every village has its idiots; whether red or blue makes no difference.

• GelatinGeorge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m genuinely thankful you’ve made it this obvious how much of a fucking moron you are as I can block you immediately and get on with my day.

• ZK686@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Let me guess, only left politics and democrats are your happy place? God forbid anyone disagrees…

• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Anybody who will actually take the time to read your comment by this point knows you’re full of shit. Republicans aren’t the party of fiscal responsibility. The only situation in which they actually care about saving money is if it saves money for their 1% handlers.

• ZK686@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

So, there should NO questioning funds that are sent all over the world? The US should just say “here, take whatever you want!”

• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Funding this proxy war is probably the absolute smartest thing the US could do. The Ukrainians are badasses (read up on their ice fortress revolution in 2014) and are fighting for their homeland. Russia is our second most powerful adversary in the world (and are far more adversarial with us than China) and this war is draining their morale and economy.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Every dollar send to help Ukraine will save about 10 dollars you don’t have to spend in a full out war.

It’s an easy calculation only a Russian shill or the people dumb enough to believe their lies would dispute.