My goal was to create a seamless and intuitive system with interconnected lighting, climate, entertainment, and security that could be managed through voice commands or a central app. I wanted the room to respond to our presence, adjust to our preferred settings, as well as predict some of our needs based on the time of day.

The core of the system is a central hub that connects all the smart devices. I opted for a Raspberry Pi running home assistant, as it seemed like a good combination of flexibility and a robust support community.

For lighting, I chose smart bulbs and LED strips with changing color/brightness. Climate control was entrusted to a smart thermostat that learned our schedule and preferences. Entertainment-wise, I set up smart speakers and a TV that can cast content from a phone/tablet.

For security, I installed smart locks and cameras. I asked the tech guy to make sure these are integrated with the central hub for coordinated actions, e.g., turning on the light when night motion is detected.

I ran into some compatibility issues between different brands and protocols, which took some trial and error to plow through. At the moment, I’m working on the smart irrigation system for our garden. It’s a bit tricky with all the unpredictable weather we’ve been having. Trying to wrap my head around soil moisture sensors and weather forecasting APIs.