Hello,

I have recently gone down to rabbit hole of upgrading fixtures around my house to work with HomeKit.

I have replaced all my electric baseboard thermostats with Mysa V2, which meets my needs.

There is one remaining thermostat in my house, which turns the gas fireplace on via electric pilot.

This thermostat control has never acted as temperature regulation. It seems to function as a on/off switch. I turn the “heat up”, to turn the fireplace on, and turn the “heat down” to turn the fireplace off. It has never automatically turned on or off based on setting, as a baseboard heater would.

I’ve included pictures of the wiring behind the thermostat. The thermostat connects to a line, and a load wire. There also appears to be a neutral wire as well as a ground wire in the housing.

My baseboard heater thermostats also had a red wire in the housing, which was previously unused but was required when I upgraded to the Mysa thermostats. This fireplace housing does not have that red wire.

My question is, can I replace this thermostat with a smart switch? I am okay with it not acting as a thermostat, as it never has. I can automate it to operate based off of triggers of other thermostats. Alternatively, if I have to use another Mysa thermostat for this fireplace, will doing to allow it to function as a true thermostat rather than a switch, and is that even possible given there is no red wire?

I hope I have explained this sufficiently. Thanks in advance for your help.