We have dozens of sports communities over at https://fanaticus.social. Whether you are a fan of MLB, NFL, CFB, NBA, etc, we have a sports community for you! I have also been doing my best to crosspost sports news to other sports communities across Lemmy to help everyone find other fans.

We are still a growing instance and are looking forward to discuss sports with everyone. I hope to see you there! And if you’re looking to mod a community let us know!

• Manibusan@fanaticus.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What I’ve been doing just to try and grow sports discussion on Lemmy as a whole is crossposting any of our posts into a corresponding community on a different instance and vice versa. Example, I’ve crossposted the Giants schedule from !nygiants@lemmy.world into our NY Giants community. I’m not hoping for any particular community to be the premier community for a sport/team, I just want to increase the chances that new users can find a community that gets them the content that they are looking for. We have gotten several users from other instances in the past few days so I think the concept is working!

I joined Reddit to follow college football, and I’m hoping to help grow Lemmy enough to have quality discussions here as well.

• The Sourcerer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah I definitely think it could work if it’s done the right way There are some much needed functionalities that Lemmy has yet to offer that will make it easier to stand up instances like this (easier customization, better cross-posting, better admin/mod tools, and clearer documentation). But the idea is great and it could work with some patience and hard work across various different players in the lemmy game.