• PunnyName@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Shows that you can pay to be a worker who follows stringent (often bullshit) expectations. College isn’t without its upsides, but this is the real reason they want that degree.

• toastal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Isn’t it historically the other way? Universities were bullshit refinement for the upperclass learning anthropology & philosophy since labor was optional for their class, while other education options were all about churning workers thru apprenticeships?

• Gladaed@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This is stupid - in either system you want scientists and engineers. They need an education. You only are more marketable because employers expect people with degrees to have better critical thinking skills.

• Urist@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Yeah, this take is coming from someone thinking business school is part of academia. Base sciences and applications of them are absolutely essential for both long and short term functional societies. Scientists are working class and the majority of them are quite left leaning*.

* Does not apply to the shitbags that patent their public funded results after getting lucky once.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Do you even understand what it means for the workers to be commodities under capitalism?

• Gladaed@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t think I do. At least not in the way you do. I guess you mean that they are a means of production and are considered to be kind of fungible. I don’t know how that relates to the post though.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

What? The post is about how under capitalism, with the workers being commodities, schooling and education are just processes to add value to a product. That’s THE point of the post.

Commodity in this context means something produced just for its trade value. Capitalism in pursuit of profits, which tend to fall in existing markets, must expand commodification into every aspect of reality. Including humans, and their labour. It was one of the first markets capitalism expanded into actually. It’s the whole reason slavery ended basically.

This is basic shit we learn in school the “Global South”.