I would definitely not use any technologies that use internet or can be hacked remotely. But I would accept some that would help my life significantly.

• Scourge@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I would pretty much accept any technology that brings me closer to being a full android or lengthens my lifespan. Artificial brain, tracking tech, etc. I would be willing to accept a lot of compromise for eternal life and I feel this route is probably has the best chance of actually happening within my lifespan. Cyberhorror aspects aside, I figure once the lifespan increases, given an infinite period of time eventually the problems will sort itself out. If it gets too awful I assume I could probably maintain enough control to off myself at some point so it’s all good.

Also, I know the chances are still very small, fractions of a percent or whatever, but its non-zero and most other avenues seem to be just flat zero outright.

• SubmarineDoor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The problem with immortality is the damaging century long conservatism of society it would cause. Imagine a few rich immortals in charge of everything forever. Some scientists joke that “science progresses one funeral at a time”. Well imagine a society where the arts, sciences and the economy never change.

• DarkenLM@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Immortality is not a gift. It’s a curse. The problems won’t go away, they’d only increase. Death is the Great Equalizer. If we remove it, balance is removed as well.