• Woozythebear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The thing about jury’s is that people use their morals. If they don’t think a the crime should be a crime they may not want to comvict them even tho they know the person broke the law.

If I’m sitting on a Jury for someone arrested for feeding the homeless I will never vote to convict even if the evidence is as clear as day.

I’m not comparing shooting people to feeding the homeless buy just showing an example of why people don’t vote to convict when the evidence is clear.

• bobburger@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Jury Nullification is a power tool that people don’t use enough.

Jury nullification (US/UK), jury equity[1][2] (UK), or a perverse verdict (UK)[3][4] occurs when the jury in a criminal trial gives a not guilty verdict regardless of whether they believe a defendant has broken the law. The jury’s reasons may include the belief that the law itself is unjust,[5][6] that the prosecutor has misapplied the law in the defendant’s case,[7] that the punishment for breaking the law is too harsh, or general frustrations with the criminal justice system. Some juries have also refused to convict due to their own prejudices in favor of the defendant.[8] Such verdicts are possible because a jury has an absolute right to return any verdict it chooses.[9]

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Shut the fuck up delete this! If you say things like that second paragraph publicly, it can get you kicked out in voir dire.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Then what’s the point of writing “if I’m sitting on a Jury…” when the rest of the sentence torpedoes your ability to ever be on one?

• zaph@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

If lawyers are scrubbing Lemmy posts for jury selection I’m sure they will find more reasons than “this dude might pull jury nullification.”

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

You are vastly overestimating the government’s effort when it comes to juror vetting.