• Kyyrypyy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

To be fair, the skincolour technically does two jobs; while darker skin protects you better from sunburn, the lighter skin also absorbs vitamin D from the light (and darker skin also protects ou from getting too much of that D). That is why the skincolour gets lighter, the more north you go, as the sun does not provide as much said vitamin.

Why am I mentioning this, well, the traditional bane of nordic hemisphere people is depression due to the lack of said vitamin D, during the time the sun just don’t come up, so if anyone with a darker skintone migrates here: remenber to supplement that extra D, because even the pale snowpeople have issues getting enough naturally.

• bunnyknuckles@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Please wear sunscreen. While black people are less likely to get skin cancer they are much more likely to die from it if they do get it. Love, your ginger cousin.

• Sibelius Ginsterberg@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I had a very awkward conversation a while ago, when I (milk with a drop of coffee) had to tell the mother of one of my pupils ( coffee with a drop of milk) that he should use sunscreen, because he could get sunburn too. She was nice about it, but I felt kinda weird.

• doggle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m no expert, but I think it’s got something to do with prolonged exposure to the sun

• diprount_tomato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

But melanin is a shield for it, and the more melanin the darker the skin. As black people usually have a very dark skin, they have a lot of melanin and thus are way more protected against the sun than the average 60 yo fat guy that’s sunburnt red

• Kalothar@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

To answer yours question Melanin adds a resistant factor to it, but the actual sunburn is caused by actual damage at the cellar level from UVA and UVB rays.

Think of Melanin more like sunblock in that it extends the amount of time before noticeable damage to the sun will happen. While the time for sun damage to accumulate to be what you would call a sunburn might vary from person to person, everyone is still susceptible to UV damage.

• BedSharkPal@lemmy.ca
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Sun poisoning?! First 5G now this! I’m just gonna wrap my whole body in tinfoil!

I am baked potato man and this is my origin story.

• DeepFriedDresden@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Anybody can get a sunburn. The melanin in the darkest skin tone only gives a baseline SPF of around 10. While they are far less likely to get burns, it’s still possible and when they develop skin cancer it’s usually diagnosed in a later stage with a negative prognosis.

Sunburns are radiation burns, and doesn’t have to include red skin to be present.

• Chetzemoka@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It works the same way it works for anyone else who is in direct sunlight for too long. Black people can get melanoma too.

“All skin tones are susceptible to sun damage. Sunburn will cause darker skin tones to go darker, and the skin will feel hot and painful to touch. While darker skin tones are less likely to burn, almost anyone can get sunburnt or develop skin cancer.”

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326378

• CertifiedBlackGuy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

A part of me knows this is true, but I’ve never gotten sun burned.

My sisters and mom have, but myself and my dad haven’t.

Can’t wait for that skin cancer to sneak up on me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Chetzemoka@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Hahaha, yeah. The black kids at the summer camp I volunteer for always think it’s funny when I’m chasing them with sunscreen in my hand too. Luke seriously though, y’all, have you ever burnt the tops of your ears?? Trust me, don’t find out.