• deejay4am@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s easy for really old posts to get necro’d in Active sort. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you use the “feed” to keep up with the latest then it’ll cloud your listings a bit. A lot of people don’t look at the post date right away (especially those of us from alien site since we’re still operating on old habits).

Hot also had a bug that pushed old posts up, IIRC? Maybe i’m thinking of Active; I can’t remember off the top of my head as I type this. Anyway I think Active is based on recent comment activity and Hot is based on recent voting activity. Nothing wrong with either, but I am honestly appreciating the “Top X hours” methods to keep up with recent news and events and to keep things fresh.

We’re still in the “oh shit activity has increased by a factor of a thousand, we need to make the database not crash” phase of development of Lemmy (and kbin) so I’d expect that eventually the feed sorts will be looked at and tweaked. Just needs a bit of attention to get what you are looking for at the moment.

• DuncanTDP@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Honestly that makes a ton of sense to me. The only real/sort of real problem I have with the sort from the “last X hours” is that I feel like as someone who doesn’t regularly check the site I would miss a lot of posts I wouldn’t normally see. That’s just my perspective. Thanks for the insight though.