• remotelove@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Having listened to static for long periods of time before, it’s difficult, but not impossible to tell when you start having auditory hallucinations. It simply doesn’t fit the correct patterns of proper voice and your brain is filling in patterns and frequencies that simply aren’t there. But…

Our atmosphere is filled with tons of human generated RF. Given the correct conditions, you could hear signals bounced all the way from the other side of the earth. (That is a thing in amateur radio, actually.) On a really good day and if I am in the right location, I can use a simple 5-10W handheld radio to key ham radio repeaters hundreds of miles away. It’s rare, but it happens.

When you realize that everything electronic has the possibility of making noise and that everything metal is an antenna, hearing real random voices in the most random of places is absolutely possible. With enough time and motivation, you could probably make the capacitor or inductor whine on an old GPU produce music or even voice.

If there is any kind of signal in random noise, it’s super easy to spot with graphical spectrum monitors. Matching audio with visual queues is almost a sure way to avoid just “hearing shit”.

There is also a ton of absolutely bizarre things people transmit. You could probably search on YouTube for strange radio transmissions and be occupied with that stuff for months. If anyone can make any kind of noise, it’s been transmitted or is currently transmitting from somewhere.

These are built-in to many rigs nowadays:

• Willard Herman@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

What do you mean “bizarre things people transmit”?

I need to hear that. Any kinds of that.

Earlier I tried to find Electronic Voice Phenomenon recordings on YpuTub and it was useless. Just people talking about it.

I don’t want some people talking ABOUT stuff. I want the stuff.

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Oh, I think the EVP stuff is mostly bullshit. I didn’t say that directly, but shared some information that would help explain some of the things people may hear. If there are EVP recordings, I would likely just ignore them on a platform like YourTubs anyway.

Here are some examples of legit, strange transmissions: https://youtu.be/vSvvSAvOzI8?si=MHoN9dVxnY6JjMeA

That same guy does recordings of other weird signals as well. I have listened in on some of this stuff personally, so I believe this guy doesn’t really have motivation to fake anything.

• Willard Herman@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah. I thought so. And yeah, I understand pareidolia.

I mean. I’m not sure if I believe in EVP. But when I listen to them I get creeped out.

And it seems possible that both could be true—pareidolia and ghost EVP. But do I believe? I don’t know. I get creeped out.

Yes. YoTub is terrible crap. The whole internet is so monetized I can’t find just a simple website with old Japanese Onryō tales. Like in old internet days there would be just small websites with stuff on them. Without all the “here’s my podcast” or “download our APP” or advertising everywhere.