• Juice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I love to dig. My dad used to get mad at me for failing classes in school, which happened often. He’d say, “Do you wanna go dig ditches for a living?!”

Now I’m a software developer and yeah I like it. It shuts my brain off. I wish I could do it part time or even just as an exercise but I live in a suburb and any time you want to dig you have to make a phone call and wait for someone to come out

• DesertCreosote@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Have you considered calling the locating service, get them to mark the entire yard, and then taking pictures so you know areas are okay to dig in going forward? I’ve been considering doing that for my yard just so I know where I can safely landscape.

• Juice@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’ve done it before! I think its illegal to dig before calling. A friend of mine was digging in his yard and found an underground cable of some kind, almost took it out with a spade. Probably would have cost a pretty penny, with court fees to boot! Maybe I should take an ad out and offer to help dig for people. Maybe i could get a couple jobs a week, and I would do it for free or travel money and pizza at least