• Unruffled@lemmy.dbzer0.comM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

If you say enough batshit crazy stuff then sooner or later you’re going to get something right by accident.

• nowayhosay@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

For anyone who’s wondering, I saw within the first few hours there were comments mentioning the weird installer and malware fuckery. The account was VitaminX which I think has since been deleted EDIT THE ACCOUNT HAS NOT BEEN DELETED. Screenshots xposted from a different forum VitaminX user card

Comments

• Gamey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I have seen someone claim that the Bitcoin address leads to the admins too, is that true or just made up bs? Ether way it doesn’t seem like they had any intention to get rid of that guy so I would be very careful next time you download something from there!

• djmarcone@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

To me this shows just how rare malware is on pirated software… Someone did it and it causes quite an uproar.

• MolochAlter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean, being an unhinged transphobe with an ego the size of a house does not mean anything regarding your insight on piracy or tracker politics.

• ollie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

can anyone confirm this tho? havent found anything out of the ordinary with the only 2 releases on 1337x (.to that is)

• 7Sea_Sailor@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

as per lemmy.dbzer0.com/post/1585338, yes, its fairly easy to confirm. though there probably were multiple uploads for the game, of which only the one from “VitaminX” should be infected (unless others reuploaded that one as well).

at the end of the day, why bother with these weird reuploads and repacks from unknown nobodies. get your repacks from dodi and fitgirl who’re comparatively trustworthy, and have been for many years. or skip the repack alltogether and get the DRM-free files from gog-games.

• Gamey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I have seen people claim that there are infected copies all over the internet, not sure if it’s true but please be careful and make sure to use something like Virustotal and Malwarebytes if you aren’t sure!

• Blizzard@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Just when I was considering them for rarbg replacement. Any reliable alternatives?

• gcfbrian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Dodi repack is up. Anybody getting anything from IGG or any of the usual names deserves what they get imo. Dodi/fitgirl repacks or go next

• falseteefs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

bit of a stretch to say it’s unsafe.

I guess I need to point out the tweet that OP posted was on about 1337 which is what I was on about not the BG3 download. the perfectly safe content far outweighs any bad content ( I have yet to see someone hide a miner in a movie for example)

• 7Sea_Sailor@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

it really isnt a stretch. as soon as the moderation team of the website doesnt care about, or even protects, the first malware infected torrent - none of the torrents can be trusted anymore.

i for one will not will not get torrents from 1337x anymore, unless I’ve been sent to a specific one from a trusted external source (like game repackers, who do host their torrents on 1337x from time to time). the risk is simply too high, and there are better sources for games and movies anyways,

• AnonymousLlama@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

So it creating an exe and hiding it from the task manager is fairly normal then? From the screenshots another bloke pasted on here, that looks pretty suspicious

• nfntordr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Yeah I saw all those comments and that’s right I don’t trust you. I’ve been getting repacks from 1337x for a couple of years now from 1337x and I never heard of you. There is no auto-trust on sites like this dickhead.

• Kissaki@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Isn’t 1337x a platform for users to provide the content?

Do you trust in them verifying and/or moderating that content?