link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Don’t ever take a phone to a protest. They WILL use location data against you if your phone is on, Even if it’s off and you happen to lose it, they’ll use the fact that it was found at the scene against you.
    If You’re going to protest, then protest. If I see you standing around taking pictures and videos with your phone I’m going to assume you’re just in it for your Instagram posts.

Edit:
    And if you’re not careful when taking videos or pictures at a protest you could expose other protesters and your footage could be used to prosecute people that were there trying to help.
    If you absolutely INSIST on documenting the protests, procure a used GoPro off of eBay or Facebook marketplace that isn’t registered to you and use that.

• Droggelbecher@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

In my area we always designate a few people to stay between protesters and police and carry a phone for filming police. Sometimes, evidence of police behaviour is important. But a cam corder could work too.

• ramirezmike@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If I see you standing around taking pictures and videos with your phone I’m going to assume you’re just in it for your Instagram posts.

This is good advice, but seeing historical footage of protests is kinda cool though, tbh

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Assuming it’s a reasonably sized protest, there will be people documenting it. Everyone has a phone now. There will be pictures, which is also why protecting your identity is important.

• 乇ㄥ乇¢ㄒ尺ㄖ@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

They WILL use locational data against you if your phone is on, Even if it’s off

Based on what I know, this can be achieved in two ways:

1. SIM card: it records your location all the time, so they can get that from your phone company
      2. request it from Google or Apple ( that’s why you should degoogle your phone )

If you remove the SIM card and don’t connect to any hotspot ( obviously ), then your phone is just a camera, but the issue is that you’ll want to broadcast live, so you’ll need an Internet connection… So

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Android deliberately scans for open WiFi and Bluetooth endpoints even when these functions are disabled by the user. Google knows exactly where you and what you’re doing, and LE can just buy your data from them a week later and prosecute you.

• higgsboson@dubvee.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

If you remove the SIM card and don’t connect to any hotspot ( obviously ), then your phone is just a camera

That is not true and it is a dangerous assumption for someone planning to antagonize law enforcement.

A phone that is powered on, even with no SIM or WiFi, would still be able to track your location. It still has GPS-GLONASS-Galileo, it still has a cell radio, it still has Bluetooth, etc. How do you think a phone can let you still call 911 even with no SIM?

This article offers a high level explanation:

https://robots.net/computing-and-gadgets/mobile-devices/tracking-a-phone-without-a-sim-card-explained/

GPS tracking without a SIM card offers a resilient and dependable solution for location-based tracking and management.

Unless you leave it home or physically remove the battery, your phone can still be used to track you (given the resources that a state can bring to bear.) If you aim to misbehave, do not trust your phone.

• 乇ㄥ乇¢ㄒ尺ㄖ@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

While SIM cards have historically served as a primary means of identifying and tracking mobile devices, advancements in GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth technologies have expanded the horizons of phone tracking beyond the constraints of SIM card dependency.

I mean that’s what I tried to say, SIM cards are the biggest offender when it comes to phone tracking, since they’re linked to your ID card, it’s such an easy method of tracking, unfortunately the article doesn’t go in depth ( as it claims ) on how to leverage GPS tracking for example, which brings me to my second question

given the resources that a state can bring to bear.

SIM card is the primary method used, it’s so easy and available, the government will for sure take advantage of such tracking capability, but since the article doesn’t give any example of how can GPS tracking can be achieved, like we know that the SIM card pings cell towers all the time, and it transmits unique IDs, and you buy it with an ID, you get the picture… in the case of other tracking methods, it’s seems ( to me at least ), that the attacker ( the government in this case, not necessarily the US government ), has to invest in extra resources to leverage such tracking capabilities that use obscure methods, how much that’s question? they must be really motivated

• higgsboson@dubvee.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

If you remove the SIM card and don’t connect to any hotspot ( obviously ), then your phone is just a camera

Again, this is a false and dangerous claim. Your continued denial makes me begin to suspect you have an ulterior motive, but I dont have energy today to waste on you, so I will be blocking you. Good day.

• Chainweasel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Your SIM card just grants you access to any particular network, your phone can still be tracked off of its serial number or IMEI as other towers in the area, regardless of whether or not they are your carrier, will log the devices that pinged the tower.
        This MIGHT be ok with a burner phone if you paid with cash, but they could still pull data from in store security systems of the purchase by tracking the phone to the point of sale with its IME, if they were sufficiently motivated.
        It might work, But it’s a gamble I’m not willing to take.