• gerryflap@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m supposed to have energy as an adult?! I have way more time than energy. Most of that time is spent doing useless shit like watching YouTube because I’m too exhausted to do anything useful

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

No, I’m willing to bet you have plenty of energy. Society has simply deemed that all of it must be spent on being productive for the sake of everyone except yourself.

“If your employees have energy to spend on meaningful activities during their own time, you’re leaving money on the table. Squeeze them harder while they are on the clock.”

• SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Agree to disagree, I likely have a sleep disorder, so I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in nearly 10 years! Check, and, mate! Fuck I hate my life…

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Disagree. I used to spend time on more energy-intensive hobbies like programming and music production. But I’ve had mono and COVID in 2020 and I’ve never felt the same thereafter. Also working 40 hours a week drains a lot of energy

• AtariDump@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

“No, I’m willing to bet you have plenty of energy. Society has simply deemed that all of it must be spent on being productive for the sake of everyone except yourself.”

“Also working 40 hours a week drains a lot of energy”

Hence the first comment. What if you only had to work 20 hours a week? You’d have the energy then.

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

True. Guess I misread. I’ve already switched to 36 hours and I totally aim to go lower once I earn more. Work to live, not live to work

• Rinox@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If you have time then try working out and doing sports. It sounds asinine, but I’ve found that exerting yourself increases your levels of energy in the long term. Even something small, a little bit at a time will be greatly beneficial. Also try doing it with someone else and try having an active social life that will motivate you to go out of the house and stop spending all the evening alone on the couch watching YouTube (which is really detrimental, ask me how I know it).

Like the Romans said “mens sana in corpore sano” (you need a healthy body to have a healthy mind)

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah sports were my first attempt to solve it. I’m running twice a week usually and have done a few half marathons now. It’s helped a bit, but my energy is still not amazing. It’s probably related to having issues with mono and COVID in 2020, I’ve never been the same since then. Working 40 hours per week didn’t help either.

• cynar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I used to think that. Unfortunately, you’ll be proven wrong with time. I really did have a lot of energy, when I was younger. I’m now having to be ever smarter with what I have, just to tread water.