Foxx’s message was in reference to a prior post, no longer found on his feed, which read, “They killed this dude named Jesus… What do you think they’ll do to you???!” He ended the post with the hashtags #fakefriends and #fakelove.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why do some Christians blame Jews or anyone for killing Jesus? I mean isn’t that what Jesus wanted? Wasn’t that the predefined plan? Kinda like Judas. If it was determined by god that Judas would betray Jesus, why should Judas be punished for it, and how is that free will?

Anyways, it makes no sense.

• AdamUllstrom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The Bible do not make sense. The more you read it the more you’ll be convinced that its all bull shit.

There is a saying among atheist (paraphrased) “The road to atheism is through the bible” or “Only atheists have read the Bible cover to cover.”

• Widowmaker_Best_Girl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I mean, wasn’t it the Romans who killed Jesus anyway? Like, sure the Jews gave him up, but the Romans were the ones who wanted him dead.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

And it’s not like he actually died, he was resurrected 3 days later by himself.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

There was a splitter sect in early Christianity that went back to Jerusalem. At some point they were cast out of the temples and formed their own. They became bitter and angry. Gradually the other books of Christianity seeped into this community and at some point the fourth gospel (traditional called John) was written. Pilot and the Romans were recast as innocent powerless against the Pharisees. You can see for yourself the difference between Pilot’s interrogation in Mark, where Pilot is really hung up on the challenge to the throne, vs John where Pilot is working hard to prove that Jesus is innocent.

As the Gospel with the most developed spiritual stuff, a proto-trinity, it is often the most studied and read from. Reneforcing the antisemitism.

I guess the moral of the story is make sure to rotate your tires on every oil change.

• Old_Dude@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The tweet in question: “They killed this dude named Jesus… What do you think they’ll do to you???! #fakefriends and #fakelove”

In the world we live in, I can see how someone might interpret this as antisemitic, but it’s a non-story in my opinion. I’m certaint he meant sinners or something along those lines.

• pitninja@lemmy.pit.ninja
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Right, why would people assume he’s saying Jews killed Jesus when he did not, in fact, say anything about Jews and Jews did not kill Jesus? I could make the argument that people assuming the worst possible interpretation of Jamie Foxx’s words is, in itself, potentially offensive, but I’m not going to jump to conclusions about why they jumped to those conclusions. These types of non stories happen all the time on Twitter and get way more traction than they ever should. We shouldn’t even be talking about this right now lol

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Fake Friends, because Judas claimed to be Jesus’s friend, but betrayed him.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

So you think he’s talking about the Romans or something? Makes zero sense.

And your argument is, what, that the News turned Jesus in but didn’t directly kill him?

It’s not a question of potential. The words are outright offensive, in fact, in reality. And they’re pure discrimination, too. Even if some group of people did something shady 2000 years ago, why does that have anything to do with people today? It doesn’t, unless…

• reallynotnick@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Saying “they” vs “we” would make me think he means a group he isn’t a part of. Now what that group is could be debated, could even be as broad as white people or foreigners or friends/people close to you. Hard to know without context, but the fake friends hashtag does somewhat allude to being back stabbed by people close to you (though one could apply the term friends to any group too).

I think his excuse makes sense, but I also understand how people could easily jump to assuming Jews (I’ll admit that would be my first gut reaction)

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Read the article. Not every casual tweet has to have monumental importance.

He wasn’t talking about Jewish people at all. His only fault here is failing to see how easily his poor choice of words would be misinterpreted by the internet outrage machine.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

He clarified it meant “fake friends” which in the context of the Jesus story makes perfect sense. The moral here is maybe don’t post every random thought that pops into your head.

• ArtieShaw@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The idea that Jews collectively killed Jesus is nothing new.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/who-killed-jesus/

And it’s still around. Survey from 2004 linked below shows that about a quarter of Americans held that belief and that it had increased since the late nineties. Hell, I think it was a theme in Jesus Christ Superstar.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2004/04/02/belief-that-jews-were-responsible-for-christs-death-increases/

I guess someone could be ignorant of all this, but whenever someone brings up who “killed Jesus” they’re usually not trying to make some vague point via an innocent analogy. In other words, if someone comes out talking about one of the foundational ideas behind European/American anti-Semitism, I’m going to make some assumptions.

But who knows. Maybe those hoofbeats mean I’m about to be overrun by a herd of zebras.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s more to do with the context of his past opinions. If I remember right, Jamie Foxx is one of those people like Kanye who think that black people are the real Jews and everything is a conspiracy against them

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I met him once. Right when he started his singing Career. He’s legit a good dude. I hope he still is.

I was working retail before I left for the army. He came into sign albums. Dude was sick as hell. Looked pale.

Came around and thanked everyone for helping him out. Bought us all lunch. He seemed very down to earth and sincere.

It’s bad sad to hear about his medical issues.

• AfricanExpansionist@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m always kinda confused by black Christianity… It’s obviously a case of Plymouth Rock landing on them. Why isn’t organized religion treated more suspiciously in their communities?

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Because historically, spiritualism was vitally important to their communities, and they weren’t allowed to practice the beliefs of their ancestors. It filled a void where nothing else was available.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Name an African American civil rights leader (without searching online) that wasn’t strongly religious Christian or Muslim.

Or talk to a African American mother about how her church and the connections she made there helped out.

-a friend of mine who is involved with an Atheist African American group.