• ShimmeringKoi [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

In America, if you attract the attention of the authorities they may come for you with a drugged needle and kidnap you to a labor camp. Sometimes people do not wake up from the drugs, and their bodies are found many years later in a mass grave behind the prison.yeonmi-park

• delirious_owl@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Its 17 people over 10 years.

I mean this is horrible, but the headline makes it sound like students protesting the genocide in Gaza were suddenly attacked and drugged, and 17 of them died last weekend.

No, its 17 over a decade.

Also, missed opportunity to link to the murder of Elija McClain, who was recently attacked by police and murdered with Ketamine. The paramedics were found guilty.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

At least 17 people died in Florida over a decade following a physical encounter with police during which medical personnel also injected them with a powerful sedative, an investigation led by The Associated Press has found.

The deaths were among more than 1,000 that AP’s investigation documented across the United States of people who died after officers used, not their guns, but physical force or weapons such as Tasers that — like sedatives — are not meant to kill.

It was impossible for the AP to determine the role injections may have played in many of the 94 deaths involving sedation that reporters found nationally during the investigation’s 2012-2021 timeframe.

The AP investigation found that medical officials in Florida played a key role in promoting the use of sedatives to try to prevent violent police incidents.

And, in 2006, a grand jury that investigated the cases of people who had died after they were shocked with Tasers in Miami-Dade County recommended squirting the sedative midazolam, better known by its brand name Versed, up their noses.

The investigation includes the Lethal Restraint interactive story, database and the documentary, “Documenting Police Use Of Force,” premiering April 30 on PBS.

The original article contains 616 words, the summary contains 197 words. Saved 68%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!