This is what I am hearing endlessly about why Baldur’s Gate 3 is a success. I say that’s a crock of shit sold by bad companies and developers and an insult to Larians hard work.

These are the things for my opinion:

• They have 20 years of experience making CRPGS with the Divinity series
  • They do Early Access to test and perfect their systems
  • The listen to customer feedback and distill the good from the bad, ending up with a better product
  • They don’t insult their customers and respect them
  • No microtransactions or Day 1 DLC, or mention of upcoming DLC and Season Pass
  • They hire Writers, Composers and Developers BASED ON MERIT!
  • You can see the love they put in the games from the Panels from Hell and social media

I am sure there are many more things that add to their success but random chance and luck is not the reason; hard work, dedication and good management is!

Just a little rant and pet peave I wanted to get off my chest.

• dom@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

You’re right.

This reminds me of when people say “you’re so talented at X”

Like no. It was a shit ton of practice and hardwork that developed that skill.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Unrelated to gaming but I have similar thing people tell me in regards to my work. I had a very decent job and now own a company or two doing software development and the most common thing people tell me is I was lucky to find a good job that started it all. No motherfucker I worked my ass off, didn’t have a GF until age of 20 and spent countless nights working while others were out getting shitfaced.

• mranachi@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeh, the problem with your logic is your not considering the set of people who work harder than you, are smarter than you and yet don’t own multiple companies. Unless what you’re really trying to say is that they don’t exist… in which case I’d like to challenge that assertion.

I think what is commonly missed is that an outcome being lucky and an outcome being due to focus, dedication and hard work are not mutually exclusive.

I am aware of awesome games/devs that never succeeded. Larian is lucky, but Larian is also well deserving of the success they built themselves with decades of dedication to great game design.

• talung@lemmy.talung.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, it negates the effort the person put it. This is the reason people tend to dislike the Mary-Sue characters of “modern movies”.