• calcopiritus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I suggest you read my comment again. It seems like you are replying to another dude. I don’t know what my “unwillingness to change” refers to.

I am a feminist suggesting that we should change the name from “feminism” to any other thing like “gender equality” or whatever.

Because a lot of people are politically lazy. They don’t care to inform themselves about what “feminism” means, they just heard their Andrew tate telling them that it’s a women-run society or whatever bullshit. Which would make sense if it’s the first time you heard the term, it’s right there “fem-something”.

It’s much easier to convince people that A means equal rights if A is called “equal rights”. It works too well, some people even think that china is communist because it’s ran by the communist party, and that the DPRK is democratic because the D stands for democratic.

• DavidDoesLemmy@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I agree, but words are important. Men will find it hard to relate to a movement called feminism. It’s not just being uninformed. It’s being excluded by the language.