esp if you’re one of the devout ones who think they’ve been really good

• Shou@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

So god made you broken to the point you cannot be a good person. Then god punishes you for being broken?

• plantedworld@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I grew up in a Catholic family. This is pretty much it. It’s an abusive relationship. I mean, it’s fiction, but it’s abusive.

• Shou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

For real. I grew up in both a cult, and with eastern orthodoxy. Where they believe the soul of the child chooses the parents. This however is only perpetuated by parents telling their kid to follow their orders. “If you disagree, you shouldn’t have chosen us as your family.”

Religion is a tool to control people and inherently abusive.

• Melatonin@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Do you get consequences for decisions the president makes? Your Governor?

Say what you want, have to live by the decisions of your representatives everyday. You might not have even voted for them. Doesn’t change things.

• Shou@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Yes it does. There is a difference between someone holding power over people using it in a way I don’t want them to, and a person doing something a higher power doesn’t agree with. Why am I being judged for an act I had nothing to do with? It’s like being conviced for a crime I haven’t done.

• Melatonin@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

It’s less like a single act than it is like a treaty. I think Brexit is a great parallel.

Kids born today in the UK and henceforth going forward forever (unless something changes) will not enjoy the benefits of being part of the EU. They once did, but they chose to leave. The UK decided “No, we don’t want to be bound by those rules.”

But these new kids didn’t decide that. These kids may be upset about that. They may wonder “Why am I being held responsible for actions that were taken by people (20, 50) a hundred years ago?”

But it’s done. There was a relationship once, but we withdrew from it. Now we’re on our own. You didn’t get the protections without following the terms.

• Shou@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

There still is a difference. One man here made a choice that affected billions. Whereas with brexit, a majority voted for something.

It still seems morally wrong. Especially to then call people unable to be good people as a result.