Hello,

I’ve just started to return to linux as my main work environment after a few years of abstinence.

I want to access an smb share, which is running on my NAS system, which is working fine with plasma / KDE apps, but with GTK-based apps, like Firefox and Code, I can’t see my share.

Edit: the mount issue has been solved, the error was in front of the screen.

mount -t nfs nas:/sharedFolder /mnt/entrypoint creates a symlink but then never finishes running. I’ve installed gvfs-smb.

What am I doing wrong?

I use Manjaro Plasma btw.

• t0m5k1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

So you need to work out what you actually want to access and use the correct protocol/command combo.

You mentioned in your post 2 protocols SMB and NFS.

If the share is SMB/windows then use mount -t cifs … (make life easier and ensure guest access is correct and working)

If the share is NFS then use mount -t nfs … (beware that nfs is also version specific)

Additionally use the correct gvfs tools either gvfs-smb or gvfs-nfs.

And as always when using arch based distro’s refer to wiki for full setup guides/examples

• Sanjoooo@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You’re right, I’ve been mixing up nfs and smb.

Meanwhile, I’ve found a solution: I’ve added the following line to my /etc/fstab:

//nas/sharedFolder /mnt/entrypoint cifs credentials=/home/yourUserNameHere/.nascreds,uid=yourUserID,gid=yourGroupID,defaults,auto 0 0

then run sudo systemctl daemon-reload followed by sudo mount -av.

make sure your credentials file can only read by users and groups you trust, in my case it’s 750.

However, this is still a workaround. The thing is, GTK-based apps don’t show network resources. That irks me.