• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Well the UK at least has this one sorted.

The last remaining one is a few miles from my house, and is scheduled to be closed in September.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

They going to build anything there? Wind/solar and use the grid connection?

Or is this going to be another wood burning thing?

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Looks like it will be demolished rather than converted for wood burning.

What they’ll build there is anyone’s guess. I can find articles getting very excited about it being an “energy hub for innovation and business”, which means absolutely nothing, and makes me think they’ve received no concrete offers but want a lot of money for the land…

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yea that’s horseshit.

Bet the land isn’t even that valuable. Old power station land probably not even close to an urban hub. Who wants that?

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

This is legit the picture they’ve got on their site trying to sell it.

I’m going to guess it ends up being an ASDA warehouse or something.

Edit: I forgot HS2 was supposed to stop right next to it, before it was cancelled. It might have been worth something then. But now it’s just some coal dust polluted land. I’m guessing they’re not going to be allowed to sell it for housing due to that.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Oh the HS2 think maybe could have done something good. Might have been worth removing tonnes of soil and replacing it with tonnes of soil.

Can’t be remotely as valuable now. HS2 was such a cock up. I’m actually reading a book about railways. Fuck could the Victorians get stuff done. Pick and shovel, no messing.

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Given HS2 has already cost more than most European countries spend doing entire network expansions I’m pretty sure it was a massive success for its intended purpose.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

The UK does things like include railways stations in the project, European countries don’t. Hence the large cost difference.

But it needs to be done. We still have lines that are 150 years old. It will be worth it.

Even the shinkansen was over budget and unpopular when being built. Now nobody would argue it wasn’t amazing.

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Yeh but its like an order of a magnitude of difference, we’re spending more than its costing Italy to build a subway through rome which requires a full on archiological dig every 20 feet.