Lets say contentious things about Star Trek! I’ll start!

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    cake
    OPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Honestly? Queer representation by characters in a universe where everyone is evil is, in some ways, a step backward.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That shit’s on Berman. Mirror Kira was such a fun character, allowing Nana to chew up the scenery.

cake
        OPM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Mirror Kira was fun in that sense, but honestly, I don’t feel like the mirror universe stories added much to DS9 and there are other ways she can show her range.

• Telodzrum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Her episode where she’s supposed to evict a farmer from his land is one of the best examples of both Kira as a character and Nana’s ability as an actor.

cake
            OPM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I agree that she definitely had opportunities to show range in the character of Kira, but I was thinking of the many ‘alternate version of X character’ Star Trek plots that don’t involve the mirror universe they could have gone with if the goal was ‘this actor plays a totally different character.’ DS9 itself even did that, like with the Benny Russell episodes.

• AnarchistArtificer@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Big agree. I also want the option of having evil, edgy queers who aren’t from the mirror universe, but that would only make sense against a backdrop of more representation in general