I know, the post tile is rather bait like, however I wanted to stir discussion amongst you.

As you know I’m a mod of the Linux for Leftists community so it might be quite counter-intuitive that someone knowledgeable on computers and Linux would have an anti-technological position. The thing is, I do not have such a position, that would be anti-Marxist and most importantly: idiotic.

The problems I have with technology stem from capitalism, however that doesn’t change the fact I enjoy using more “outdated” technological solutions to my problems in life and “kkkrapital$m sukkks” is not the discussion I’d like to foster today. I believe as individuals and society we are over reliant on unnecessarily advanced technology and should seek alternatives to distance ourselves from this.

Let me ask you: “How reliant in your day to day life are you on your smartphone?”

The question is more in the likes of, how many of your previous devices or items have been replaced by it? For example a watch, a timer, an alarm, a calculator, a payment method, a music player, a news reader, a video device and more.

It’s an everything machine, and when it fails you that’s when you essentially lose access to everything. Even if I buy a ticket online, you bet I’m printing it out just for that added feeling of security. I’ve always been the type of person that likes my devices to be very redundant, so that when one fails me I can either easily replace or repair it. I also like for my devices to be reliant and durable as well as well made for the purpose they are meant to serve.

I have what I would like to call a functionally minimalist mindset. That’s why I have problems with computers and smartphones as they are not only everything machines for most, they are slowly getting worse for the mainstream and a revolution isn’t coming soon.

So what do I do? Lifestylism lmao

Something that helps me not only enforce a reliability in my life, but also ground it in the real world as with every future year we are more and more pushed into the digital. Unfortunately capitalism has made the digital not a liberating power, but a force of alienation and control. Thus I try to distance myself very much from social media, and I’ve been doing it quite well. Since 2013 or 2014 as quite a young idiot I made a smart decision. “Social media sucks”, and I’ve never managed to get into Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and the like.

Only recently have I’ve gotten into any kind of social media, like Reddit or now Lemmygrad. But that is because of you my lovely comrades. You made the places worth registering to. Thank you.

But returning, I also have a certain love for the material. Something I can touch, inspect, smell and admire for it’s craftsmanship. I own several purely mechanical machines that have been well replaced by the digital. I also have old digital machines that are also what I like to call fictionally minimalist. Like a Casio F-91W watch or a TI-82 graphic calculator. (Solid things, they don’t make now 'em like they used to.) An addiator, a mechanical wind-up watch (I still prefer my Casio F-91W) and get this. Six typewriters. I have somewhat of addiction to them.

I have to say, all of these have made my life not just more cluttered. But more “real”. I can’t describe it, but interacting with them feels more authentic than interacting with a smartphone or even a laptop. There is just something about them that allows me not just distraction free work, but a focused mindset on task I’ve set in front of me. They make my life weirdly enough, easier.

I’ve found myself gravitating more and more to these low tech solutions, not just because of interest of curiosity. But real genuine desire to actually use them on a day to day basis.

Do you find yourself having similar experiences when it comes to technology? That it has been more of a hindrance than a help to whatever you are trying to do?

(Excuse me if the post lacks structure or sense. I’ve yet to get good at proper writing, and not just streams of thoughts.)

EDIT: It seems this post garnered a few downvotes. Please, leave a comment! Let the struggle session begin!

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I agree with this. I have a lot more trouble with online books compared to having it on paper in front of me. I prefer physical like this in alsmot everything

• QueerCommie@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My ereader is way easier to focus on than my phone. If you get one make sure it has e Ink because its easier on the eyes.

• urshanabi@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

for any kinda in-depth research, going to my university library and grabbing all the relevant works and having them on hand to quickly switch between is so much better than having several tabs open.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

As well as the fact there are so many books that are unavailable digitally and only available as physical books

• Łumało [he/him]@lemmygrad.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Yeah, If you try to search for any book on libgen or zlibrary that is not in english, and for example in polish, then good fucking luck! It basically can be considered non existent! I hope that one day I can afford a CZUR book scanner to make this somewhat different as I do have a small collection of Marxist books that were published back in PRL and having scans available would be nice for a lot of people. Because that is the main problem Polish marxists have, lack of availability of materials as no new prints are being made, nothing has been scanned and many books were lost to burnings after 1989…

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Prolewiki has some guides to scanning books without those machines if you want to look at them. If you scan them, it would be very intresting to look at as I could translate it into English to read since I’m sure many of those texts are only available in Polish I would think