Hi folks sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m fairly new to Usenet and although I have it all set up, I saw some instructions to use a docker to run SABnzbd in?

I’ve been using it for about a month without one, but I’m worried there might be adding security or privacy risk?

• chandz05@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Definitely not necessary. A lot of use cases for SABnzbd are for some sort of media server or NAS, which is where docker comes in handy. If you don’t already have a docker setup, and don’t intend to have one in the future, running a single app as a container probably isn’t going to be necessary. There are other considerations of course, but as far as security goes, as long as you’re connecting via SSL and/or VPN, you should be good.

• DoomBot5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Docker isn’t necessary, but will be super useful down the road when you start running a bunch more applications on the same machine.

• JoelJ@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Same machine? I only have the one computer, and I use it for everything. What am I missing here?

• DoomBot5@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

So you want to run your usenet client now. What about torrents later? Then you find out about all the *arr applications, then plex. What if you want to remove one of them? You’ll end up with a difficult time to configure all your applications, maintaining them, and cleaning up if needed. Port number conflicts, dependencies, etc. With docker, it’s much easier to do all of that, and the instructions are widely available.

• MajinBlayze@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

It isn’t that hard to manage your applications as individual installs; we’ve been doing so for years.

That said, I recommend planning to migrate over to docker or LXC for a couple reasons:

1. Security

While docker by default isn’t ideal on security, there’s some benefit to isolating an application to a container, as if it’s compromised it can limit the exposure from being able to impact other parts of your server.

1. Dependency management

Your package manager might do just fine with the services you have, but the more you try to run, the more complex a problem dependency management can become, and some important upgrade can cause unforseen consequences on another service.

1. Rapid prototyping

On the future if you want to try something new, it’s easy to spin up a docker container for some bleeding edge service, and if it doesn’t work, you can drop the docker image and be confident that the application has made no changes to your filesystem, and you aren’t going to run into some weird problem down the line because you installed and uninstalled something you’ve since forgotten.

• DoomBot5@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I wasn’t wanting go too far into the technical details with my reply, but yes, those are some reasons for my statement.