link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

The current Obsidian made The Outer World’s. I don’t know how you go from FO:NV to that. I guess the difference is that, while NV had jokes, the world was taken seriously with jokes added. TOW was essentially 100% jokes. There isn’t a single part that was seriously considered I don’t think.

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Honestly I thought Outer Worlds was really well made, it was also just very low on content. One thing it did super well was for optional quests to not be obnoxiously telegraphed but placed in a way where I just found them while wandering around which feels a lot better than running down a cheklist. It also prevented me from feeling like I’d missed out on content even after finishing the game and learnign there were a bunch I missed.

TLDR: Outer Worlds was a fantastic tech demo.

• FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Haven’t you played Old World Blues? It was like the best DLC while also 100% jokes, even more jokes than Outer World while being the best DLC.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It had a lot of jokes, but it wasn’t a joke. It still took its place in the world seriously and made sense in-universe. The Outer Worlds doesn’t really ever. It never tries to be consistent.

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Even The Outer World was in development 6 years ago. Before covid and during Microsofts acquisition.

Game studios have high churn, the writers, designers, artists, etc are so far removed from their previous works that its a brand name like every other studio.

The New Vegas director did work on Pentiment but thats a perfect example of how a single person doesn’t mean a lot. Not to say he doesn’t do good work, but that its a collaborative job with many influences.