Throughout my life i have set up a multitude of different printers. None of them have been a pleasant experience. Why is this, and is there a printer that is actually good?

Order of priorities:

1. Free/open software and hardware
  2. Available ink/toner and spares
  3. No connectivity “dumb as a rock”

Print quality really doesent matter unless it is really bad. Of course, im willing to make sacrifices on all of these points, but you get the gist.

Any suggestions for models that comes even close to any of these requirements?

• wazoobonkerbrain@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I share your frustration with printer hell. I don’t use the wifi on the Epson Ecotank.

Previously I owned a Canon Pixma, a pre tank version. It worked great for several years, then one day it stopped working. I eventually established that the problem was that the machine was programmed to fail after a finite number of prints. It’s criminal that they prevent you from maintaining their hardware.

• eirik@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s hard to find a good printer when it seems all the companies that produces them are all about making money and screwing the buyers.

Fortunately for me, in my country (Norway) we have really good consumer protection laws, so if my printer fails before it should I will get it repaired or replaced. But I really hope this one lasts.