Think of the universe as a painting. There’s the image made in paint, and the surface it was painted on. The canvas.

The stars, the planets, the gasses, the matter and energy and even the space between are the paint. What’s the canvas? Is there a canvas? Would the canvas follow the same rules as the paint?

• MajorMajormajormajor@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Well, I am pleasantly proven wrong, thanks! Yes, I was thinking of general relativity, you are correct.

These oscillations would be different particles (electrons, protons)

Are you saying that the particles are oscillating in reaction to your hand bouncing the mesh, like a handful of marbles on a bed bouncing around? What constitutes a “hand push” in the real world? A high energy collision like at the LHC? Or day to day interactions between objects?

This is very fascinating, although I can’t help but see a similarity between the two canvases. Is that just because they are both so complex that we need simple analogies to try and wrap our heads around the concepts?

• pbbananaman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

No, the analogy is more that the oscillations are themselves the particles.

The addition of energy into a system would be this hand push. The fact that the particles themselves exist means that they are oscillations in this mesh (with some energy/frequency). Interactions with other particles can add or remove energy.

Definitely these canvas metaphor are just conveniences. Also, I got it from Zee’s “Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell” which is a standard graduate or advanced undergrad level book on QFT.