I know current learning models work a little like neurons but why not just make a sim that works exactly like how we understand neurons work

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Simple answer: We don’t have any computer to run that on. While I don’t see any absolute limitations ruling out that approach… The human brain seems to have hundreds or thousands of trillions of connections. With analog electrical impulses and chemistry. That’s still sci-fi and even the largest supercomputers can’t do it as of today. I think scientists already did it for smaller brains like those from flies(?), so the concept should work.

And then there is the question what are you going to do with it. You can’t just kill a human, freeze the brain, slice it and then digitize it by looking at a microscope a trillion times. So you have to make it learn from ground up. And this requires a connection to a body. So you also need to simulate a whole body and the world it’s in on top. To make it learn anything and not just activate random neurons. So that’s going to be sci-fi (like the Matrix) for the near and mid future.