I know current learning models work a little like neurons but why not just make a sim that works exactly like how we understand neurons work

• Neuromancer49@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Actually, neuron-based machine learning models can handle this. The connections between the fake neurons can be modeled as a “strength”, or the probability that activating neuron A leads to activation of neuron B. Advanced learning models just change the strength of these connections. If the probability is zero, that’s a “lost” connection.

Those models don’t have physical connections between neurons, but mathematical/programmed connections. Those are easy to change.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s a vastly simplified model. Real neurons can’t be approximated with a couple of weights - each neuron is at least as complex as a multi-layer RNN.

• TempermentalAnomaly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’d love to know more.

I recently read “The brain is a computer is a brain: neuroscience’s internal debate and the social significance of the Computational Metaphor” and found it compelling. It bristled a lot of feathers on Lemmy, but think their critique is valid.

Do you have any review resources? I have a bit of knowledge around biology and biochemistry, but haven’t studied neuroscience.

And no pressure. It’s a lot to ask dor some random person on the internet. Cheers!