I watch an episode of a series, and then it randomly starts to heat up my CPU. The most reproducible case is when the episode ended while I’m not looking at it, then the PC get locked and the screen gets turned off, and VLC then, on a pause, starts to use 20%+ percents of my CPU and get completely unresponsive before I kill the process of it. If it was in fullscreen before, it’d show just a dark screen before I alt+f4 out from it. It doesn’t use as much resources when it plays videos, so I guess it’s VLC not reacting right to some system conditions? I’m a noob so it’s just a guess.

As a side note, what do you use for watching shows? I still can’t find a player that I’m 100% comfortable with. MPC-HC is what I used on Windows for years and I’m too used to how it works it seems, but I’m open to try something lightweight with simple controls to choose languages on the go.

• smokinliver@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Nice to see I am not the only one encountering this. I too use mint and one thread is running at 100% when that happens.

Sadly i dont have a fix.

• Андрей Быдло@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It feels nice to know there’re two of us, so it’s probably not that we’ve done something wrong (:

I don’t remeber it been the case months ago, but I recently has my system disk space get too low with uploads I was operating, so it can be the reason (I cleaned it since that)? Or just the update that doesn’t work for our hardware or what? Or VLC conflicting with Mint?

Either way, I feel less like an idiot knowing someone else is troubled by that. Hope it’d be resolved for both of us. I’d ping you if someone come up with an answer.