Since I like FreeBSD so much on my server I installed it on my crappy unstable laptop as well. I only use it for browsing, editing notes and video conferencing when working from home, so I need no complex setup.

From top to bottom:

• Output of fastfetch, an open neovim and my wallpaper switcher. The bar is eww.
  • A second workspace with Firefox and my notes.
  • My “logout window”. Pressing a key combo will show this overlay with the option to close it or pick shutdown/reboot/logout.

Not pictured is fuzzel for running applications.

A few minor things still need to be done but nothing major will change.

• Victor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Would you mind sharing your eww dots? I also use eww for a bar. Curious to see others’ eww solutions. 😊

• Victor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Thank you kindly. Cool, I see we had about the same solution of handling workspaces and their switching, conceptually.

I use this bash script, currently:

#!/bin/bash
        print_workspaces() {
          i3-msg -t get_workspaces \
            | jq -c 'map({num,name,visible,focused,urgent,empty:false}) + ([range(1;11)] | map({num:.,name:.,visible:false,focused:false,urgent:false,empty:true})) | unique_by(.num)'
        }
        print_workspaces
        if [ "$1" = subscribe ]
        then
          i3-msg -m -t subscribe '["workspace"]'
        | \
            while read
            do
              print_workspaces
            done
        fi

I also want to print numbers for workspaces that don’t exist (yet) so that there’s more consistency in the bar numbers. I guess I’m getting old…

• boerbiet@feddit.nlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Not being able to print unused workspaces is just a weird thing for me as well, but I’m also someone who would be called “old” by certain age groups. I have never used i3 so I wouldn’t know how to achieve that there…

• Victor@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I achieve it with my script above. I conceptually just pad the gaps in the existing workspace data with the missing workspaces and add some extra data to tell eww which workspaces are “real” and which are non-existent/empty.