• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The thing that’s stopping that from becoming reality is the very pretense of the system we are postulating the need to threaten to overthrow.

I’m not advocating overthrowing the system, I’m pushing for a single change in international policy. I’m not an accelerationist, I don’t want violent revolution to happen. All i’m pushing for at the moment is that democrats recognize the landscape has shifted underneath them and react to it, and there’s certainly time left to do that.

The problem is that the current active climate of “violent revolutionaries” are right wing fascists, not leftists.

This claim bothers me, because if it’s true and the democrats know this, then they need to be taking more action against it than just running it as a campaign message. If i’m being honest; I think right-ring extremists are too larpy to be effective revolutionaries anyway. They’re far more effective as brownshirt-type paramilitaries, aligned with the state and not against it. So creedance to the threat of republicans taking power again (to an extent), but they’re already out and in force now against anti-war protestors, and the dems seem all too happy letting them run out in front of the police when it’s convenient. I think liberals tend to miss-identify the threat of fascism within their own party, and I think it’s definitely present now.

The two silver linings i see right now are:

• young leftists are getting lots of practice of organized resistance, even against open opposition from their own party and law enforcement. I’ve been very impressed with the strategic deployments of peaceful agitation and their organization
    • the leftist coalition is growing in number, thanks in part to the anti-war protests and the openly hostile response from the democratic party

While I don’t know what happens come november, I know that we will be the most organized we’ve ever been for whatever comes after.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I’m not advocating overthrowing the system

That’s not quite what I’m getting at either. It’s the threat of bringing dems out of power that, if we successfully carry through, has a real chance at degrading our democracy. Just like it did last time republicans took power.

But the threat of Republicans taking power is necessary to spur change from democrats. If we vote blue no matter what every single time, there won’t be a platform change because democrats will do what they’ve been doing for the last two decades and assume the fear of Republicans is enough to get them elected.

So how do we spur democrats to change without giving republicans an open door to waltz in?

if it’s true and the democrats know this, then they need to be taking more action against it than just running it as a campaign message

Democrats have lost their teeth. They won’t actually do something about it because they’re afraid of that Republicans will use whatever is done for retaliation, which they will.

As an aside, I live in Louisiana where the governor’s seat turned red for the first time in 8 years. The blue governor was a good temper against the crazier laws our supermajority red congress tried passing.

Now that there’s no obstacle, our red congress is revenge passing everything they can to take marginalized groups’ rights away and now they’re talking about rewriting the state constitution to allow for even more restrictive laws.

And they’re doing it to spite democrats who’ve stopped them for almost a decade.

All this to say that democrats don’t do enough where it matters because they have to keep a base happy that actually judges them on their actions. Republicans’ conservative base eats up rage bait and cheers for suffering, so they always have the upper hand in that arena.

I think liberals tend to miss-identify the threat of fascism within their own party, and I think it’s definitely present now

Oh absolutely. I mean, democrats are responding to nationwide protests by making it a form of hate speech. We’re there.

I hope you’re right about young people being willing to organize despite the system, because it’s gonna be rough if the worst happens in November.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

On the side, thanks for actually engaging me and discussing my thoughts. You could have been an asshole, and I just want to say I appreciate that you weren’t.

It’s a nice break away from the never ending trolling I seem to encounter. So thank you.

• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Same to you. Everytime I make a comment on .world I go in with my hair raised, this has been a nice change of pace.

I hope things turn out for the best.