Seen a lot of posts on Lemmy with vegan-adjacent sentiments but the comments are typically very critical of vegan ideas, even when they don’t come from vegans themselves. Why is this topic in particular so polarising on the internet? Especially since unlike politics for example, it seems like people don’t really get upset by it IRL

• BirdEnjoyer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Its because they ran into the loudest, most annoying vegans.

IDK how, maybe different areas have more militant vegans, or maybe they just roll with negative stereotypes and the algorithm bs that lets the worst folks float to the top of their media feeds.

I’ve actively sought out vegans because they have great advice on dietary restriction resources and as long as you’re respectful of their choices, they’ve been consistently so willing to share.

And they also really love a good breakfast, in my experience, like the local vegan group has just pages of discussion on good vegan donut resources.

• hungryphrog@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Yeah. I think it’s a loud minority thing. The non-annoying vegans are much less likely to mention their veganism than annoying vegans. As a result, some people only (knowingly) interact with annoying vegans and start to believe that all vegans are like that.

• gmtom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Honestly not even that. Im willing to bet most of these people crying about militant vegans havet ever even come across one. But have heard a story from from some shitrag newspaper that reported on some vegan doing something a thousand miles away from them and then used that to form their opinion on all vegans

• whome
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I doubt that, I would think it’s like xenophobia it’s usually the strongest in pretty homogenous areas.