Seen a lot of posts on Lemmy with vegan-adjacent sentiments but the comments are typically very critical of vegan ideas, even when they don’t come from vegans themselves. Why is this topic in particular so polarising on the internet? Especially since unlike politics for example, it seems like people don’t really get upset by it IRL

• jol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Well… You should feel bad. That’s the whole point of the movement.

• pathief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

This is not how you get people to join your ideas, this is how you push them away further.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Same counter arguments people used against blacks, against gays. “If you just looked normal, people wouldn’t discriminate you”. Fuck that. I’m tired of your lame excuses. You just don’t care.

• pathief@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I don’t know how you read my comment and concluded that I approve racism or homofobia. It’s these kind of comments that push people away.

Vegan and non vegans are are at the opposite extremes. One only eats meat, the other never eats meat. You can’t insult people into your way. No one wants to have a conversation with you when you just randomly accuse them of homofobia. In your future attempt try going easier and with baby steps. People are more likely to stop eating meat if they take it one step at a time. This ridiculous expectation that someone must change their lifestyle over night or they’re racists… This isn’t the way, statistically speaking. But alas, this is a pointless discussion because you already know this and just want to fight with a stranger on the internet. Have a nice day.

• emptiestplace@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Vegan and non vegans are are at the opposite extremes. One only eats meat, the other never eats meat.

Wow, very interesting! I really admire the way you make sense.

• pafu@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The primary point of the movement should be to stop animal suffering, not making other people feel bad.

While it’s a necessity to make people aware of the cruelty of the animal industry and the harm it does to the planet, there are many ways to get there, and not all of them will work for everyone. The difficulty is in getting people to listen to you and being willing to self reflect their own behavior. Once they do, they will feel bad on their own.