Main question in title. It sounded like the majority platform for the game is PC. What’s stopping the devs from just re-releasing the game on PC without Sony as the publisher? Can the devs just abandon ship and start fresh, but without Sony?

• qwertyqwertyqwerty@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I mean, I know they likely have some ironclad contracts, but it probably wouldn’t cover AH’s “next” game, right? I’m realizing this is probably a silly question, but what recourse does AH have at this point? Did they just sign a contract giving away all rights to their game to the publisher?

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

That is how its generally done yes, especially when there is such a large power imbalance between the two parties (one being a multinational corporate giant and the other a mid sized studio with only average releases so far). Maybe they even signed a deal for hd3 with them in advance as well

• tiberius@lemmy.ca
    cake
    M
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Playstation most likely owns the IP. You should create an open source helldivers type game.

• weeeeum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

They probably also own all the code and assets. If arrowhead tries to release a “hell jumpers” with most of the same code, they’d get sued for copyright infringement.

• lapis@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Helldivers is Sony IP, not Arrowhead IP, so no, Arrowhead can’t just release another game in the series without Sony’s involvement.

• qwertyqwertyqwerty@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Damn. Maybe their next game can be called Shelldivers. Armed snails deployed to the bottom of the ocean to destroy trash monsters and deep sea creatures.