• pianoplant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Step 1: post content to fediverse sites Step 2: engage with existing content in a useful and meaningful way

If you build it they will come. Part of what makes reddit successful is that a good portion of Google searches lead to a reddit thread. Why? Because the content is there.

• elgordofordo86@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

That’s really it. We don’t need millions of people. 100k or more will do. People just need to engage and create in meaningfully like you said.

Edit: 100k truly active people. Not total users.

• VeeSilverball@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is essentially why there are a small number of “legacy” web sites that never got subsumed into the oligopoly - they have communities, the communities host content creators, if you want the fresh content you have to be where they are.

The thing that allowed communities to end up on Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter was mostly a matter of traditional forum hosting being a challenging, technical thing with ongoing maintenance tasks and one account per forum you wanted to visit, instead of “button press and we do the rest”.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d have to disagree with the premise that the Twitter migration “failed”, for a start. Of course with anything like this you get a big spike and then it trails off. But the question isn’t “did we retain 100% of people who tried out the new platform?” it’s “are there now more people on the platform and are they having a good time?”

I never actually used Twitter (yet somehow had about nine accounts but I kept telling myself this time it would stick). Now I have two active Mastodon accounts with two active feeds and am having a great time.

And the same applies with Kbin/Lemmy. It’s not for everyone. Nothing is.

• But are there more people here now? ✅
    • Are we having fun and interesting conversations and a generally good time? ✅

Why does anything else matter?

• Dav@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How dare you assume I’m having a good time.

While you’re definitely right I get OP’s hang up, more people means more content. I do wish more niche communities on Reddit made their way here.

I am btw

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Lol sorry how rude of me.

I think niche communities are a result of platform size, and trying to force it too early doesn’t really work. What we can do is make sure the slightly-less-niche-but-still-fun communities that already exist are looking nice and active and welcoming ready for whenever there’s a new wave of users, and the niche splinter groups will come with time.

• Dav@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Very true, maybe we’ll see sites dedicated to these niche groups connect their own instances?

• Leafeytea@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I would say by not trying to just recreate it.

If this space it to be truly it’s own, there should be more freedom to not only share ideas but actually discuss them, even if they are difficult. Reddit often felt like a place for like-minded only discussions, over and over, almost everywhere.

The negativity and toxic habits especially need to really be left there. Question shaming/ridiculing, immediately down-voting comments into oblivion just because they don’t reflect the same opinions — ending all of those bad habits would be a welcome start.

• patchw3rk@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Create communities that want to make people stay.

I created @BestOf and/or https://kbin.social/m/BestOf and spreading the word. I think it’s a valuable community because some people don’t spend all day on social media. They want the creme de la creme when they’re on it.