• john89@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The saddest thing is how this generation praises people for spending money while scoffs at those who save it.

It really is backwards.

• Lightborne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

What the hell are you talking about about? Who is out there “scoffing” at those who save?

Sometimes I wonder how awesome the Internet would be if people didn’t constantly spout some made up bullshit as fact.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

People do tend to follow the “parked money is lost money” mentality, but that’s more about saving vs investing.

• john89@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Lol, what? Are you just upset because I’m calling out reality?

Who is out there “scoffing” at those who save?

“What are you, poor?” You’ve never heard anything along these lines when criticizing the price of something?

Either you need more life experience, or you’re talking out of your bum.

I think you are one of those proud consumers I’m talking about, which is why you pretend my critique doesn’t make any sense.

• TimmyDeanSausage @lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I think you hang out with losers that derive their sense of self-worth from their personal (or mommy and daddy’s) spending power. Maybe instead of extrapolating big picture conclusions from your anecdotal evidence, you should expand your horizons, get out there, and experience more life.

Also, saying “this generation” on the internet is a bit like saying “look over there” without pointing in a direction… We can infer that you’re talking about one of the younger three generations, but without context, your whole argument is muddied and pointless. It’s pedantic, I know, but if you’re gonna dole out criticisms on a whole generation universally, it’s only fair you get some in return.

• john89@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

I think you hang out with losers that derive their sense of self-worth from their personal (or mommy and daddy’s) spending power.

You mean, most Americans? Especially those who live in major cities? Color me surprised.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Which one is “this generation”? All the advice I’ve heard for years is “stop buying the new iPhone and the avocado toast and the Starbucks, use your 401k”.

• john89@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Another one? That was quick.

I’m talking about your generation. The one that doesn’t take that advice.

You’re referring to the previous generation giving that advice.

Come on guys, use your 🧠.

• TimmyDeanSausage @lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

You’re making assumptions about who you’re talking to and expecting us to make assumptions based off of that, as if the world can read your mind? You are responsible for making sure your arguments are intelligible, not the people reading said arguments.