Hi all

A higher nozzle diameter has the benefit of being able to print faster due to to bigger layer width. There is a tradeoff, you’ll have to lower print speed and/or raise temperature to maintain proper layer adhesion. That means that there is an optimal nozzle size for a given print speed/temperature combination. You also don’t want temperature too high because it will burn/degrade your filament.

In my experience layer adhesion is quite poor with a nozzle of 0.8mm and it also prevents you from printing finer details (gear teeth for example). The tradeoff versus a 0.4mm nozzle doesn’t seem worth it especially if you print overnight.

What are your experiences?

• FartsWithAnAccent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

There is no such thing as an ideal diameter: It depends on what you’re trying to do.

That said, sounds like you might like .6 mm based on what you said.

Layer adhesion should be fine with any. In theory, it should be better the thicker you go, but whenever you change nozzles, you need to readjust everything.

Personally, I just stick with .4 almost always because I’m lazy and it’s an OK enough balance of detail and speed.