This one seems to be flying under the radar, but I think it’s worth checking out, but don’t watch the trailer as it kinda spoils the whole thing.

The basic premise is basically the same as that not very well done film with Justin Timberlake, In Time, but instead of time being the currency and everything, you can sell/donate your time.

• kameecoding@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wouldn’t say it’s any Eye for an eye story at all.

Ultimately both movies are a critique of capitalism, In Time is more on the nose with it, with time being the literal currency, meaning the moment you run out of “money” you literally drop dead. It’s been some time so I should probably rewatch the movie, but from what I remember the movie didn’t do a very good job at exploring those anti-capitalism themes fully.

I think Paradise does a much better job of exploring the capitalist exploitation be it criminal or “legal”.

spoiler

In time is mostly just rich people bad (which they are). Paradise also includes the other side of the story, not only are the most vulnerable exploited by the richest, also the criminal element, the illegal clinic at the end stealing years from kidnapped refugee kids.

The part about how most people are okay with “doctors doing the killing for them” I think is a good metaphor for how we deal with Climate change, lots of people are mostly okay with letting it go to shit, as in continue to participate in life as before, because the ones facing most of the consequences are the 3rd world countries.

or you can interpret it as a vegan argument if you like, most people are fine buying neatly packaged pieces of meat, most wouldn’t go and kill an animal to eat if they’d have to.