After all the BS from /u/spez?

• Kadath (she/her)@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Most of the subreddits I used to frequent (particularly/r/manga) haven’t made the move to anywhere, nor they blacked out in protest. While I see some parallels here, there’s still very few active users. I would love to be able to post more content myself, but I objectively do not have enough time in my hands.

• Dismal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I follow some pretty niche topics, and have had to make an executive decision regarding indifferent behavior from those who moderate discussions in those areas: Talking about a specific crypto, or a style of painting takes a backseat to my politics.

This was the final straw for me, and I feel that a collective lack of participation is the only recourse to assist those who are indifferent in generating an opinion.

Not only that, but I extracted (and continuously delete when they reappear) my contributions to those discussions, reposting them elsewhere.

• MrGeekman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In addition to few active users, there’s a lot of duplication when it comes to Lemmy communities. For example, there are at least 15 Linux communities across the various Lemmy instances - and that’s just general Linux communities. There are four coffee communities, four libertarian communities, three retro gaming communities, five general Windows communities, etc.

The best we can do as users is to only join communities with the most users and maybe ask moderators to delete their community if there’s already one with more users and if theirs has very few, if any, posts. It would be really great if it were possible to merge communities, especially ones with few posts. I guess the ones with few users and zero posts could have the moderator tell subscribers the community will be shutting down soon and they should locate other instances with the browse.feddit.de search tool.

Though, I do have to admit that there is an advantage to having duplicate communities across instances, which is that they make it easier for new users, since it prevents them from having to figure out how to get to other communities too soon. Though, every instance should probably have a sticky or something that tells users about browse.feddit.de and browser extensions like Lemmy Link.